Campers in the Woods


Because of the freedoms that this great country affords us, most individuals are able to posses firearms. A lot of times when a loved one passes, they leave behind firearms to be distributed. However, with some types of firearms you must be careful to follow all aspects of the law or you could be facing serious criminal consequences. If you have firearms and desire to transfer such firearms to family members or friends, upon your death, you may want to consider a “gun trust” which is a special type of trust created to hold the ownership of your firearms.


The National Firearms Act of 1934 (“NFA”) and revisions to that law, Title II of the Gun Control Act of 1968 (“Title II”) regulate certain types of firearms in the U.S. Those firearms are generally machine guns, short-barreled rifles, short-barreled shotguns, silencers, etc. These types of firearms are generally referred to as NFA or Title II firearms.


If you posses these types of firearms and desire your loved ones to continue to enjoy the benefits of these types of firearms, then you must seriously consider creating a gun trust and transferring the ownership of these firearms to such gun trust. By doing so, the firearm will be legally owned by the gun trust, but your named beneficiaries in your gun trust will be able to continue to enjoy the benefits of your firearms without the usual transfer requirements, upon your death. You will also be able to avoid the firearms going to probate court and will assist your personal representative from unknowingly violating the law, by transferring NFA firearms without going through the proper procedures. 


Call the attorneys at Law Office of John Park to schedule your appointment to discuss your questions about gun trusts and options in creating and transferring your NFA firearms to a gun trust today.