Close Menu

Las Vegas Immigration Attorneys Helping Nevada

ImmigrationAt John Park Law, our team of Nevada immigration lawyers understands how difficult and stressful it can be to navigate the United States immigration system. However, the process can be easier and less stressful with guidance from an experienced immigration law attorney. Get in touch with John Park Law’s immigration lawyers today to learn more about your immigration options: 702-857-7879.

What is the E Visa?

The E visa category is available to treaty traders and investors who wish to enter the United States under a treaty of commerce and navigation between the United States and the country where the visa holder is a citizen or national. Australian specialty occupation workers are also covered under the E visa category. There are three different types of E visas available: E-1, E-2, and E-3.

E-1 Visas

An E-1 nonimmigrant visa is an option for treaty traders who plan to conduct significant trade in goods mainly between the United States and their country of origin. Here is a brief summary of the requirements for obtaining an E-1 visa, according to United States Citizenship and Immigration Services:

  • You must be a national of a country the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with;
  • You must carry on substantial trade; and
  • Carry on principal trade between the United States and the treaty country which qualified you for an E-1 visa.

An E-1 classification allows the holder to stay in the US for up to two years and can be extended for up to two years. There is no limit on the number of extensions.

E-2 Visas

The E-2 visa is available to investors who wish to enter the U.S. for a reason related to investments they have in a U.S. business. An E-2 visa holder’s spouse and children can also receive an E-2 dependent visa.

Applicants who wish to be granted an E-2 visa must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a national of a country the United States maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with;
  • Have invested, or are actively in the process of investing, a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide enterprise in the United States; and
  • Be seeking to enter the United States solely to develop and direct the investment enterprise.

H-1B Visas for Temporary Specialty Employment

The H-1B visa is available for those who wish to temporarily work in specialty occupations for American employers. A specialty occupation is defined as a position that requires the application of specialized knowledge and a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.

The H-1B visa is designed to benefit both employers and potential foreign employees. Employers who are unable to domestically find employees with required business skills or abilities can seek out qualified individuals who are not otherwise authorized to work in the United States for temporary employment.

Employment-Based Immigrant Visas (EB1-EB5 Visas)

According to the United States Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs, there are 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas available each fiscal year. These EB visas fall into one of five different categories:

  • First Preference (EB-1) – This visa is available to priority workers and persons of extraordinary ability, such as those with national or international recognition in their field of expertise, outstanding professors and researchers, and multinational managers or executives.
  • Second Preference (EB-2) – This visa is an option for professionals who hold advanced degrees and other persons with exceptional abilities in the sciences, arts, or business.
  • Third Preference (EB-3) – Available to skilled workers, professionals whose jobs require at least a bachelor’s degree or foreign equivalent, and unskilled workers capable of filling positions requiring less than two years of training or experience.
  • Fourth Preference (EB-4) – A visa for certain special immigrants who fall into one of several categories, including but not limited to: broadcasters, religious ministers, employees or former employees of the U.S. government abroad, Iraqi and Afghan interpreters/translators, and more.
  • Fifth Preference (EB-5) – An immigrant investor visa available to foreign investors who have invested significant capital in businesses that create jobs in the U.S.

Consider Speaking with an Experienced Nevada Immigration Law Attorney

If you are considering applying for a United States visa, it may be a good idea to consult with an experienced immigration law attorney. Obtaining a visa, green card, or citizenship can be complicated, but legal guidance from an attorney with experience in these matters can help make the process easier. Contact the Nevada immigration law attorneys at John Park Law today at 702-857-7879 to learn more about how we could potentially help you resolve your immigration matter.